This coat is actually one of my favorite pieces that I made for the Lookbook this season. The pictures don't do it justice (it's a bit hard to photograph navy blue on a rainy day) but trust me when I say that it is DARLING in real life. I decided in the beginning that a color-blocked coat as part of the looks to mix and match for the colder weather which tends to suddenly hit.
It is made from navy blue gabardine (which I used a coupon for) and winter white gabardine at the bottom for the bit of color-blocking. The inside is quilting cotton and the belt was in a 3-pack at Target for around $10.
I used this Burda Pattern....version b.
I did decide at the last minute to line it, which wasn't part of the original pattern but I knew that we would need it for our ever-changing weather in the Fall.
To make the color-blocking bottom, I added 6 inches of winter white gabardine at the bottom that I planned to fold up and sew to the lining. Here's the part where I ran into a problem. I suddenly had three different fabrics coming together and was at a loss of how to make the stitching match all three. So, hand-stitching was the obvious choice at that point. A bit more work...but the obvious choice to make it look the best.
Although, if I were making the color-blocked coat again, I would have added 3 1/2 inches to the bottom for the color-blocking on the front of the coat and then extended the front facings to include a bottom facing. (It would have been WAYYY easier....I just wasn't thinking of that the first time around.)
Note to self....bottom facings are the way to go.
It really is my absolute favorite and I totally want one for myself. Now if only I could get to the matching outfit planned for myself from the navy, lilac, winter white color scheme....