A month or two ago I decided to clean out the fabric scrap bins (yes, it is embarrassingly bins). So, I went through all of them and started sorting them by color. I threw away small pieces (I know some of you are cringing right now), gave away two grocery sack of others…and then got down to one bin of my own! Major improvement.
And when I was done the oranges and grey scrap piles ended up next to each other…which made me think it was time to cut them up into a Halloween quilt. Which I did, but then the piles sat there for a month or so until I decided it was time to sew them up.
I made the quilt with 8 inch blocks that are simple HST (half-square triangles) that I put into rows on the bias. I did add in some blacks because I didn’t have quite enough gray fabrics…and then used white Kona Cotton for the white half of the blocks.
The borders are the same white and then the black “sketchy fabric” was on the quilting cotton wall at Joann’s which is also the backing. The orange binding was a 1/2 yard cut I had in the stash and I am not sure where it was from.
Melissa quilted it for me again, meandering on the inside and lines on the borders to match the black fabric and she did a fantastic job.
And the next day, even before I had washed it…it was put to good use. My little guy grabbed it for his “resting time” while watching Daniel Tiger’s neighborhood and supposedly napping (aka fake sleeping). So, I know it will be put to good use this season.
By the way….when I was cutting up my scraps….I had enough for two quilts.
So let’s give the other one away! If you want to make a Halloween quilt (all the quilt block pieces are there) leave a comment with your favorite thing about fall and I will choose a winner on Friday and mail it off to someone.
(Visited 916 times, 24 visits today)