Today we are sharing the October block for quilt block of the month. This month we are talking all about one of our “extra blocks” that is one of my favorites. In fact I am wanting to make a bigger sized quilt just out of this block! We are calling it “x marks the spot” block….and it is make up of all half-square triangles and squares!
This block is made up of smaller squares than our other blocks. It will be made as an 8 by 8 square of 2.5″ finished inch blocks instead of our regular 4.5″ inch blocks.
And here’s how you make it:
*Cut out 20– 2.5″ blue squares
*Cut out 14–3″ grey squares
*Cut out 14– 3″ blue squares
*Cut out 6–3″ light red squares
*Cut out 8–3″ white squares
*Cut out 2–3″ grey squares
Quilt Block of the Month Directions:
- Make 28 half-square triangle patchwork blocks from the 14–3″ grey and blues squares. If you need a good tutorial for making HST go HERE. Trim each of the half-square triangles down to 2.5″ square.
- Make 12 half-square triangle patchwork blocks from the 6 –3″ light red and white squares. Trim each of these down to 2.5″ square.
- Make 4 half-square triangle patchwork blocks from the 2–3″ grey and white squares. Trim each of these down to 2.5″ square.
- After you have each of the HST blocks made, lay the block out as shown in the diagram below.
- Now it’s time to stitch together each of the four rows–beginning with row #1. Place the first block on top of the second block with right sides together and stitch using a 1/4″ seam allowance. Then add block #3 to the row and continue until all 8 blocks are attached together in the first row. Press seams in between each blocks toward the darker fabrics.
- Repeat step #5 for all 8 rows pressing all the seams toward the darker fabrics.
- Now it’s time to stitch together the rows. Place the first row on top of the second row and stitch together with RST using a 1/4″ seam allowance.
- Repeat step #7 for each of the remaining seven rows until all the rows are joined together. Press all seams to one side.
- Trim the block to 16″ square if needed.
- And you are done!!!