One of my go-to ways to make a quilt is to buy a roll of 2.5″ pre-cut fabric strips and make a strip quilt. I love to make them because you can have the whole quilt top put together easily in an afternoon and there are so many different fabrics that you can add that are already cut for you! Today I am sharing my method of making these simple quilts that are great Halloween movie watching quilts, or even when you need a fast gift for someone.
Halloween Strip Quilt Tutorial
My strip quilt finishes at approximately 66″ by 76″ but that could depend on how many strips are in your pre-cut roll and the szie you use for your quilt borders. Please measure before you cut and add your border strips.
1 pre-cut roll of 2.5″ inch fabrics
1 yards of first border fabric (I used cream)
1.5 yards of second border fabric (I used purple dot)
2/3 yard of binding fabric
4 yards of fabric for quilt backing
- Sew all your your pre-cut 2.5″ strips together to form the middle of the quilt top.
- Cut 5 strips your first border strips 5″ by wof (Width of fabric) and stitch first to the top and bottom and then to the two sides. The two side pieces will need to be pieced with the 5th strip.
- Cut 7 strips of the second border fabric 5″ by wof (Width of fabric) and piece together to have enough for the outside borders for the quilt. Add two strips to the top and bottom and two strips to the sides to compete your quilt top.
- Baste and quilt your quilt as desired.
- Bind your quilt by cutting 2.5″ pieces to make binding. HERE is a good tutorial for making quilt binding and HERE is a good tutorial for adding the binding onto the quilt.
And you are done! Happy haunting and happy quilting!