One of our favorite Disney traditions as a family is to wait until it gets dark and a bit cooler in the park, and then head over to New Orleans square to get a large bag of Mickey Beignets to eat as a family. In the winter we love to get some hot chocolate and sit at the little cafe tables, and in the summer we love to eat them while we are in line to ride Pirates of the Caribbean in the dark. I don’t know why but I love waiting for that ride at night–it has such a fun Disney ambiance.
And when we can’t be at Disney….we also love making Mickey Beignets at home! Here’s how we make them and I promise they are the closest recipe you can get outside the park.
Mickey Beignet Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons dry yeast (my favorite is SAF brand)–affiliate link
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup shortening
You will also need:
- Vegetable Oil for deep-frying (pour about 2 inches in the bottom of a large pot)
- 2 cups powdered sugar for dusting
- In a large mixer, put the warm water, sugar and yeast and mix for about 20 seconds. Then let sit for 5 minutes until the mixture is frothy.
- Then add eggs and milk and stir together.
- Next add salt, shortening and flour slowly to the mixer until all is combined into a sticky dough.
- Turn out on floured board and knead for 1 to 2 minutes into the shape of a ball.
- Add dough to greased glass bowl and let proof for about 30 minutes.
- When dough has doubled, split into two equal sections and roll out into a flat circle until dough is about 1/4″ thick. Cut your mickey shapes (I use this cookie cutter which is large and fantastic.) aff. link
- Add dough to 325 degree oil and cook for about 2-3 mins per side until lightly golden brown and puffed up.
- Place on a paper towel lined rack to cool for 1 min. Then sprinkle with generous amounts of powdered sugar and eat! (Disney shakes them in a white paper sack to full coat with powdered sugar!)
This is about how thick we roll the dough to cut with our mickey cookie cutter.
Hope you enjoy these at home with your family too!