“The ache for home lives within all of us.” Maya Angelou
“Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.” William Morris
“There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort.” Jane Austen
“Love begins at home.” Mother Teresa
“Home is the nicest word there is.” Laura Ingalls Wilder
“Home isn’t a place, its a feeling.” Cecelia Ahern
We have been doing a series on our blog called The Art of Homemaking for many years now and it has taught me over time just home sacred a home can be. I sometimes like to think of my own home as another living and breathing thing that likes to be loved, used and refreshed every once in a while too (I know I am weird but if we can talk to plants…then I can talk to my home!).
I think the most important thing this week is to realize that mending is a small thing….it’s repairing a tear in a shirt or a small hole in a sock. It’s not a huge production. It doesn’t scream at you. It’s a quiet, gentle thing that you can do in about 10 or 15 mins to add some pep and zing to your space. And I believe lifts our own souls too. So, here is my list for the week of 25 ideas to mend your home…and hopefully you will leave some of your own thoughts in the comments!
25 ideas to Mend your Home
- Sew up some new curtains for a room (HERE is a great tutorial.)
- Clean out one closet
- Organize your kitchen drawers
- Shred documents you have been meaning to do (this is on my list this week!)
- Sew up a few pillow covers from your stash (HERE is a great tutorial)
- Paint a wall
- Hang up a favorite quilt
- Make a reading or relaxation nook from things around your house
- Buy some new sheets for your bed (this is one of my favorite things!)
- Plant a new plant in your yard
- Paint your front door a bright color
- Get a new candle scent for your home
- Change out your filters
- Clean a cupboard
- Tidy up your sewing space (on my list to do this week as well!)
- Make some new dishtowels (HERE is a great tutorial)
- Buy or pick some fresh flowers for your table or bedroom
- Make a new cover for your sewing machine (HERE is a great tutorial)
- Wash your kitchen window
- Start a new quilt (LOTS of tutorials HERE!)
- Change out your dimmed lightbulbs
- Wash your front door
- Sweep off your porch
- Donate kitchen appliances you don’t use
- Hang up a new picture
Any others you can think of? We’d love for you to add them to the comments!
Darci C. says
Great list, ladies! This week, I’ve started a new quilt, planted a new plant (perennial bee balm on clearance), and cleaned a couple of windows and doors. Additionally, I sent some digital photos from my phone to get prints made and bought some inexpensive frames in which to display them.
Little bits of mending each day… thank you for this beautiful, useful, restorative metaphor.
Kate W says
I’ve started making a quilt to hang in our stairwell. The sound travels between the floors and our house can get a bit loud. Curtains on the windows and rugs have helped soak up the sound and I think something hanging in that spot will help even more.