Easy French Bread Recipe:
This is the easiest French Bread recipe ever!
We make this on week nights and it makes 4 loaves…one for eating right out of the oven, one for dinner that night, one to turn into garlic bread for dinner the next night and the last one to eat with jam or honey in the in-between time!
Here’s how to make it!
French Bread Recipe
4 and ½ Teaspoons of yeast (or 2 packets active dry yeast)
3 Cups warm water
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 Teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons shortening
7-8 Cups flour
INSTRUCTIONS: 1. In mixing bowl combine water, yeast and sugar. Let sit until yeast blooms.
2. Add salt and shortening. Mix
3. Add flour one cup at time while mixing…continue adding until dough pulls away from the side of the bowl. (7-8 cups)
4. Place dough in a greased bowl and cover. Let rise for 30 minutes.
5. Cut dough into 4 pieces and shape each into a rectangle.
6. Place loaves on a flat baking sheet. Let rise for 30 more minutes then cut 3 slits across the top of each loaf.
7. Bake at 400 for 25-30 minutes.
***NOTE: If you want to turn a loaf of this French Bread into Garlic bread here’s the easy way we do it at our house:
- Slice it.
- Butter one side of each slice.
- Sprinkle Garlic Salt on the buttered side of each slice.
- Wrap the sliced, buttered, and salted loaf with aluminum foil.
- Place into a hot oven for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and foil…and enjoy!
And…..if you need another easy, everyday bread recipe check out this white bread recipe!