Ok, so we know it’s winter…and we are in a pandemic….so what are we all doing—sewing! And while people love to listen to music or podcasts while they sew, I am all about a good show to binge watch while sewing. I do need a tv show/series that is slow enough that I can keep track of what is going on while I quilt but also entertaining enough that it holds my attention. So, here is my list of 10, and please add your choices in the comments–we would all love some new ideas!
10 Shows to Binge Watch While Sewing
- Call the Midwife (PBS). I absolutely loved this series. It has well developed characters and there are 9 seasons to choose from. And while it isn’t about sewing, the costuming from the 1950’s through the 60’s is so well done!
2. Victoria (PBS). I love historical fiction series and this one is right up there with the best. And again the costuming are so amazing that it will keep you watching all the episodes.
3. The Queen’s Gambit (Netflix). While this series isn’t historical fiction at all (parts of it made me think it was) it is based on a well-written book that is so well done while adding period clothing to the mix, this series is one you will love.
4. Little Voice (Apple TV). This is one of those series that I started knowing nothing about but ended up really liking it. Please know there is some language in this one so don’t watch it if you are sensitive to language. The story of a delightfully flawed main character finding her own true voice mixed with broadway musicals (her brother is a broadway genius) is a super fun watch.
5. Iris (Amazon–Documentary). This show is a documentary about the fashion icon Iris Apfel and her presence in the fashion world for decades. I lOVED this one!
6. Doctor Thorne (Amazon). With the screenplay written by Julien Fellows of Downtown Abbey…this series has the same charm and likeable and not so likeable characters as Downtown. The dresses are fantastic and the storyline flows with some unexpected twists and turns. The perfect sewing saga.
7. Poldark (PBS). With 5 seasons you will have shows to watch for a month of sewing time with this one! I haven’t seen the last season yet but it’s next on my list for sewing time for February.
8. The Durells in Corfu (PBS). The Durell family is so quirky and charming and you will actually find yourself laughing out loud in this PBS series. This is one that I wished would continue on because I didn’t want to see it end!
9. Chefs Table (Netflix). I do love a good cooking series when I sew. This series is one of those! After you finish that one you can add Heat, Salt, Acid and Fat for another cooking series that is so well done.
10. Home Design Series (Netflix). Another few series in the home design category would be –The Home Edit, Nate and Jeremiah by Design, and Dream Home Makeover all on Netflix. Fun series to watch that you don’t have to pay too much attention to while you are sewing but are still great background series.
I know that Bridgerton (Netflix) can be added to this list too! While I haven’t yet finished it I know it will be brought up in the comments below….just make sure you know that it is marked TVMA for quite a few reasons. I had the first episode on when my teenage daughter was around and turned it off quickly. It might not be the family friendliest if you have kids walking in and out! But I did love the costumes so far!
So there you have it 10 Shows to Binge Watch While Sewing that will keep you sewing, quilting and entertained while you sew! And here is a post of 15 simple quilts to sew up while you are binging! A win win.