Did you all have a fantastic weekend? I was a bit thrown off (physically) at the end of last week and couldn’t figure out why until I realized I hadn’t taken my thyroid medication a couple of days in a row…and without a thyroid at all…..that makes me SOOOO tired. Luckily I have a super supportive husband who let me catch up on some much needed sleep this weekend and I am feeling tons better. It’s amazing what sleep can do for you (and your regular medications)!
In other news, we have gotten some emails lately about some kinks in the new blog format/layout…..and I can promise you we are working on them. The first is our RSS feed in Bloglovin and feedly and lots of other sites that you use to read blogs with. And there isn’t a good answer yet—but I promise we are working on it. And also, if you aren’t getting our posts emailed to you everyday, will you submit your email address again (in the right sidebar where it says “subscribe”)? Unfortunately we lost some emails along the way in the big switch-a-rooo, and you certainly don’t want to miss out on some daily bloggings ;).
And now….we are finally back to our regularly scheduled programming. The first project this week are some new pot holders that I needed so badly. Does anyone else out there still have the potholders they got from wedding shower gifts over a decade ago? (My hand is raised). Yea, mine were looking super ratty…..
I was looking at my scrap bin last month and trying to figure out some great scrap-busting projects when I happened upon these sewn strips leftover from these baby quilts.
And they happened to be the perfect size for pot holders….so I made up a few.
Here’s what I did:
I ended up with 10 inch by 10 inch potholders (which are HUGE and I think are fantastic) but you really can use whatever size you want. I had my scrap strips already sewn together but if you don’t have any, just sew scraps together until you get a good sized square to work with.
Next you are going to make a “quilt sandwich.”
I like to use basting spray to hold mine together.
Then I used my hera marker to mark 1 inch lines and quilted them with my walking foot.
I then added my quilt binding to the back (fold a 2.5 inch piece of fabric in half and iron). Sew 1/4 inch in from the edge, stopping one-quarter inch from the edge of each side. I like to put a pin at 1/4 inch so I make sure I stop there.
Fold back the un-sewn binding at a 90 degree angle on top of where you already sewed your binding on.
Then fold the binding back over the top and continue sewing at a quarter-inch seam.
It should look like this when you are done sewing the binding….
Next, turn your binding to the front and pin.
Edgestitch down your front binding and you are done!!!
And voila, two new potholders…that aren’t icky…yay!!!
(Visited 76,732 times, 2,392 visits today)