One of our family’s favorite recipes all year long is this Cream Chicken Gnocchi Soup and I just realized that it can even be made in the slow cooker! It is so simple to prep and it takes so good with some homemade bread (that’s my favorite recipe) and a crisp salad for a dinner that no one will complain about….those are my absolute favorite meals when everyone is happy!
Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup
*1 stick of butter
*1/2 cup flour
* 4-6 cups of milk (might need more or less depending on how thick you like it)
*1 small bag of shredded carrots
*1 small white onion finely diced
*3-4 small stalks of celery finely diced
*2 cups of diced up chicken (if I am in a hurry I use a rotisserie chicken which is fabulous for this soup)
*1 package of gnocchi
*1/2 small package of frozen spinach
*Add dried sage, salt and pepper to taste
And here is how I make it:
- Sautee onion, shredded carrots and celery until soft. Add to slow cooker that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- In the same pan you cooked the vegetables in, melt one stick of butter then add 1/2 cup of flour to make a roux.
- Add 6 cups of milk to the roux mixture and stir until the sauce thickens up to your liking (add more milk or water if sauce is too thick.) Use salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning to taste.
- Add the sauce to the crockpot.
- Next put in the chicken and frozen spinach then stir mixture all together.
- Cook on warm for two hours.
- After the soup mixture is warm add gnocchi and cook for another hour or so.
- Serve with bread and a salad!
It really is one meal that my kids will ask for again and again…and my second has even claimed it better than pizza…so try it at your house!