I have never been a big biscuit fan mostly because all the biscuits I have had are super dry and super crumbly. But my husband and oldest son are HUGE biscuit fans. So I have been on the lookout for a biscuit recipe that is soft and fluffy but not so dry and crumbly. This homemade biscuits recipe is the perfect mix for all and one that everyone has LOVED! We love to serve these with a coup or salad recipe and usually double the recipe so we have some for breakfast the next morning. And I promise they don’t take more than 10 minutes to mix up and taste amazing! You will love this recipe.
Homemade Biscuit Recipe
3 cups of all-purpose flour
2 Tablespoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons of salt
1 1/2 Tablespoons of sugar
1/2 cup of shortening
1 1/2 cups of milk
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large bowl mix together AP flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar. Put in the shortening and using a fork mix until the dough comes together into coarse crumbles. Add milk slowly mixing until the dough comes together.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and hand knead.
- Use a rolling pin, roll dough out to a 1 to 1 1/2″ thick. Cut into circles using a biscuit cutter or glass. Whisk up egg and brush on top of biscuits.
- Place biscuits onto an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown on the top and the bottom.
- Serve with butter, jam or honey.
- Store biscuits in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days.
These biscuits keep well and are perfect the next day to make bacon, egg and cheese biscuits. Enjoy!
Make some biscuits and enjoy them with your family this week!