I was trying to clean out the fridge the other week and found a bunch of different color peppers that we were supposed to make fajitas with, but I had forgotten about them and didn’t have the rest of the ingredients.
So, I improvised with some remaining ingredients in the fridge and came up with a new stuffed pepper recipe for our family–and I tell you–these Italian Stuffed Peppers are super delicious!
Even my pickiest eater (seriously the pickiest!) didn’t eat the pepper but he ate all the meat mixture so I call that a success. Any new food with that kid are a success in my book. Also, next time I figured I would just put his part in dish without the pepper and I think it would be just as good.
Italian Stuffed Peppers Recipe
4 peppers washed, de-seeded and hollowed out, then cut in half
1 lb. italian sausage
1/2 small onion, diced
2 cups of cooked rice
1 can of petite diced tomatoes
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 pinch of red pepper flakes
salt and pepper
1/2 c. mozzarella cheese
1/2 c. parmesan cheese
- Brown the Italian sausage and the diced onion together until meat is cooked and onion is translucent
- Add the rice, diced tomatoes and spices to the meat mixture.
- Place about 1/4 cup of meat, and rice mixture into each pepper half.
- Add cheese to the top of each.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 15-20 minutes until cheese is golden brown and mixture is hot.
Let me know if you try this one–or if you have another stuffed pepper recipe you love–I’d love to try another one. I am thinking about a lovely mexican one with black beans, corn, chicken and enchilada sauce. I’ll keep you posted!