If there are three things I love in a recipe–they are pasta, chicken and lemon. And this soup combine everything that I love into one delicious soup! It’s easy to make and tastes even better as a lunch the next day. I serve it with a baguette and a salad and it’s ready for entertaining as well.
Lemon Orzo Chicken Soup Recipe
- 1 box of orzo pasta
- 1-2 T olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots
- 1-2 cloves of minced garlic
- 12 cups chicken broth (I use better than bouillon and water)
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1-1 1/2 cups of cooked chicken breast, shredded
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- fresh oregano
- 1 lemon, sliced
- Parmesan cheese (Optional)
- Cook orzo pasta according to pasta directions. Drain and cool a little bit.
- Add olive oil to a dutch oven and add chopped onion and shredded carrots. Cook until onion is translucent. Add the minced garlic and saute another 1-2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, shredded chicken and lemon juice. Simmer for 5-10 mins.
- Add spices, lemon slices, fresh oregano and parmesan cheese and serve
I also sometimes add fresh spinach or kale to this recipe at the end of simmering the soup and it is delicious as well (I didn’t have any on hand but it is so good too!).
Hope you enjoy!