I have been on a mission to master some recipes that I miserably failed at when I was first married and learning to cook. And caramel….well it has been my nemesis for awhile now. The first time I made it, I almost lit the pan on fire and the smell of burnt sugar was lingering for days. It was that bad. So, I was scared of trying again for awhile while I worked up the courage to do it again.
Last fall I finally decided it was time. Time to conquer caramel! And after a month of trying different recipes and techniques…I found a fool-proof recipe and learned quite a few things along the way. So, I will share my list of tips and tricks and hopefully you can learn from my mistakes and have amazing homemade caramel the first time.
PS–This recipe also makes the perfect soft caramels for Christmas caramels too. Just pour the ready caramel in an 8×8 pan wrapped in waxed paper and let cool. Then cut. And they are delicious!
So, without further ado, I give you my tricks to making amazing this Simple Caramel Apple Recipe.
Tip #1. Use a candy thermometer. This is the one I have but any simple one will do. I know some cooks can use the back of a wooden spoon, or color….but if you are anything like me, just use the thermometer. It will make your life so much easier.
Tip #2. DO NOT turn your stove on high. Just be patient with it on medium. You will avoid all the burnt sugar smells and learn from me 😉
Tip #3. Use a wooden spoon for stirring.
Tip #4. Use a large non-stick pot with sides.
Tip #5. Be patient and don’t try to do anything else while making it. Just enjoy the stirring and waiting. My other mistake was I was also trying to make cookies the first time I made it. So learn from me!
Okay and now onto the fool proof recipe!
Caramel Apple Recipe
Make delicious caramel apples at home!
- * 10-12 small crisp, tart apples (washed and dried with stick added)
- * 1 stick of butter
- * 2 cups of brown sugar
- * 1 cup of light Karo Syrup
- * 3/4 teaspoon of vanilla
- * pinch of salt
- * 1 small can of sweetened condensed milk (14 oz)
- Add candy thermometer to the side of a non stick pot.
- Melt butter, brown sugar and Karo syrup on medium heat, stirring constantly until the temperature reaches 240 Degrees.
- Remove from heat.
- Add the vanilla (it will foam when you add this so be sure it is off the heat).
- Add the small can of sweetened condensed milk and stir.
- Add the pinch of salt and stir until mixture is smooth and silky.
- Dip apples and let cool on waxed paper.