We have been trying to eat a bit healthier during the quarantine through simple steps….adding in more veggies and making our own bread. I am the very first to admit that I am not always a wheat bread fan. (It can be so gummy and cardboard tasting sometimes! I am a wimp.) But this recipe is not those things at all—it is delicious!
Here’s how you make it:
Whole Wheat Bread Recipe
- 1 1/2 T instant yeast
- 2 cups of hot tap water
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1/8 cup of applesauce
- 2 1/2 T vegetable oil
- 1/2 T salt
- In a mixer combine sugar, hot water and yeast and stir. Let sit until yeast begins to froth and foam.
- Next add the oil, salt and applesauce and mix in.
- Next slowly stir in your flour one cup at a time until all is blended and the dough forms into one large ball. (This process should take 5-7 minutes.)
- Next place the dough in an oiled mixing bowl and let rise for 25 mins.
- Once dough has doubled in size, split into two loaves.
- Roll each dough ball into a loaf shape and place in oiled bread pans.
- Let rise again for 25 mins.
- Then bake at 350 degrees for 25 mins. making sure the bottom of each loaf is lightly golden brown.
- Turn out onto baking racks to cool.
I know it sounds strange but the little bit of applesauce in the dough is amazing! It makes for a lighter fluffier bread and not the dense kind. Try it sometime and you will agree!